More changes

Fascinating changes keep coming.

My directing has taken off via the world of political commercials. I traveled to Hawaii and over the course of four days filmed two spots. There appear to be several more coming in the next few weeks.

The day before leaving, I had lunch with the head of the cinematography division of USC cinema. It looks like I'll be teaching a course in the fall there.

The week before that, I was asked to become the editor of The Society of Camera Operators Magazine. I accepted. I don't know the first thing about editing a magazine, but ignorance will probably serve me well, and I have a few ideas that people seem intimidated by, so I guess I'm on the right track.

And lastly, I've been offered a job operating a "virtual" camera on an animated film called "Monster House". This mostly computer created film started with actors on a stage wearing dots all over their bodies which emitted light. The light information was fed into the computers from dozens of cameras. The characters were then created digitally. My work will be to make the computer pans and tilts "more human" by actually moving a virtual camera through space while watching the animated scene on a screen. Go figure.

Comments

Norman said…
Welcome to the USC faculty. I teach editing there and, I must say, have loved it since I started. The students in the USC film school are tremendously intelligent and motivated and push you to the limit.

I found that it re-invigorated my own work.

So, welcome!!

Popular posts from this blog

Condition update May 11

Alive and thinking